Sunday, August 12, 2012

it only takes a song remembered

to be transported back through a rift in time

to the past


The Band "The Moon Struck One"

on a mild late night summer porch

with a waning gibbous moon

slipping through random bars of cloud

waiting for my father to get home

from his second of three jobs

his life was broken upon

to sustain us


or Stories "I'm Coming Home"

just play that and I'm 19

in the cool late summer/early autumn

pining for some sweet pretty little things

I can no longer distinguish between

but whoever they were

they really fired me sweetly up


or "Born To Run" in the waning summer

of a troubled year in young adulthood

where who I wanted would have none of it

and the usual rites of booze and pot passage

were observed with the strictest adherence

to a sensitive Beat-fueled vision of art and love

as one single creative thing


it only takes a song to remind you

you've never been anywhere else but here



Content (c) 2008-2012 Philip Milito. All rights reserved.

No comments: