Monday, February 14, 2011

you may have gathered I hate the world a bit

but hell I had great drugs great sex in my youth

(and if I may brag like an asshole--a little some later too)--

and now that all's left are an aging man's aches and awareness of decline

I make no apology for mastering the curmudgeon's attitude--

it's easy it's fun it's fatally right about things (except for the inexpert

who reduce it to mere sarcasm and personal bitterness)

it's the best antidote to ennui and it's got enough garlic to drive

cats and vampires away for miles around--

don't do this unless your hurts have really been hard and unhealing--

don't even try this if someone asks you how it feels and you can't say

"it will always hurt but I've gotten used to it"

get to that point and you'll see how clear the blue sky

how rich the food and wine taste

and how pure and cleansing will be the laugh

with which you'll greet life's sad absurdities


Content (c) 2008-2011 Philip Milito.

No comments: