Thursday, September 26, 2013

SELF RELIANCE INDEED! II

once at a b &b in Alberg Vermont

I experienced perhaps the all-time best

breakfast with some of the more companionable folk

it was ever my good fortune with whom to break bread...


the breakfast lasted until almost 11:30 am

before the the owner's wife kind of laid down the law

to her superbly sociable husband

that the day was (emphatically) "getting on...."


one story from one of the guests stuck with me...

"I've been in Vermont before...one time I got stuck

in mud season...my car was fender deep in mud...

as I wondered what to do someone came past me on the road


"stuck in the mud, eh?" the guest said "yes I seem to be..." expecting

an offer of help...the local just said "well have a good day"

and sauntered off down the road"

self reliance indeed!


our breakfast group was one of those happy life memories

to resonate forever after...but we'd been to vermont before as well

and we couldn't disagree when our guest capped his story

by saying "you have no friend in Vermont..."





Content (c) 2008-2013 Philip Milito. All rights reserved.

No comments: