Tuesday, May 1, 2012

spare me the sermon

the lecture

the civics lesson

or any other pronouncements


about spirit or ethics or politics

or respect for others

I don't want to know it

I don't want to hear


I've sunk in my own quagmire

of misplaced faith and groundless hope

and while I face my fall

don't stand there preaching


your self-serving gospel to me

it's all I can do to try and draw

peace from my agony

and strength from my afflictions


and face my end with more grace than

I exhibited while I lived my hapless fate

and I don't need your benedictions

one day you'll know what I've suffered


then you won't be so free with your advice

or your judgments

on your soapbox spouting while some clown

on the rafters overhead


dribbles spit onto the top of your head...



Content (c) 2008-2012 Philip Milito. All rights reserved.

No comments: