Saturday, May 12, 2012

NOTHING IS FORGIVEN BUT ALL CAN BE REDEEMED

two feet in my mouth

trying to encourage

someone I didn't know

to be strong


then I consulted an oracle

whose advice included

"pain is strong but love is painful

but to be sad is to be weak"


talk about your own advice

coming back to bite you in the ass

and all of this a rebuke to my sadness

and wrong-headed projection


fishing around for

what wasn't mine to have


*


how do my proceed?

why even ask this oracle?

the answers I got were no comfort

and told me nothing I didn't already know


except for how to sustain myself

when nothing in the universe

would budge for me



*


my vocation became clear

once again

this writing these overheated

philosophical ruminations

were what I do in the world


they serve anyone but me

but I guess that's the idea


*


we all want the short answer

the quick way out


but there isn't one


you get where you're going

slugging through the shit

and out of that


comes your destination into sight


scrape your shoes

you tread on sacred matter after all


*


the one I tried to advise

came back to confront


an explanation cleared the air


but still a bit of resentment flicked

despite the peace-making


no easy atonements

no "kiss to make it better"


but just the lessons

of caution and respect


nothing is forgiven

but all can be redeemed


scrape your shoes...


***

Content (c) 2008-2012 Philip Milito. All rights reserved.

No comments: