Monday, January 24, 2011

A MEMIOR


1) I hurt; I healed; I stared at her legs all through first grade; I went up to my room and daydreamed.

2) I passed; I failed; I trembled at a first kiss; I boasted to schoolyard pals; I went up to my room and daydreamed.

3) I made the grade; I didn't make the cut; I knocked her up; I looked for work; I went up to my room and daydreamed.

4) I worked for years; I lost my pension; she and the kids are somewhere I can't follow; my liver became ruined; I went up to my room and daydreamed.

5) I was thrown out of bars; I became embarrassed during one-night stands; I mourned my limp pencil; I went up to my room and daydreamed.

6) I became the cliche I never thought I'd become; old friends avoided me where possible; a woman gave me a shot and failed; I went up to my room and daydreamed.

7) I lived with nothing to show; my memory was one long static shot of a sunset; I cried at the thought of my favorite childhood toy--a squeaky rubber lamb; I went up to my room and died.

8) ?


Content (c) 2008-2011 Philip Milito.

No comments: