Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I gave up the things I liked
but I gave them up too late--
consequence has set me on a different diet--
one I'd been ignoring for years
in pride
in denial
in false belief
of an earthly immortality--

now I cannot--will not drink again--
unless you'll accept a toast of water--
now I cannot--will not eat any meat
the steroids are killing everybody
and beef takes half a week
to leave my system anyhow--

no--I'm not trying to convert anyone--

no--now I will eat when I'm hungry
drink when I'm dry
as the old songs go--
Living Water and the grain of the earth--
it took nature to cure me
where my own sense of self could--would not--
now I've returned to the chow line
where the Ineffable Master Chef
has never refused anyone
a meal...



Content (c) 2008-2011 Philip Milito.

No comments: