Friday, July 2, 2010

WAILS OF THE WRAECCA.


PART VII: SOMETHING'S NOT RIGHT IF SOMETHING'S NOT WRONG




You can't withdraw and pine--

You're no longer a child
And haven't been for longer than
You've known you haven't been...


*

It's cold beyond the pale--

My breath froze
Into demon shapes

Flipping birds at me--


*


What prompts
What calamitous leveling
That's punishment or penance
according to your lights?

I cannot recall

Though some moments
Whisper alternatives
As I search through
Wreckage for clues


*


And here is another
Invitation to pull pins
Out of your voodoo doll
And stick them into the carcass
On the crucifix

God forgives--
But only if you do
And with your
Misconceived notions
How can you?


*


Lord! Help me remove the bitterness
From my heart!

"I will not!
You have bitterness in your heart!"


*


Why shouldn't gratitude be bitter?

Isn't righteousness too often the helping hand
that adds to the burden?


*


God's Will be done--
What "free" choice have we really?


*


I was finally broken--

I'd prayed like never before in my life
And still did evil triumph and horror crumble
All delusion--

As if God put my smashed pieces under heel
And ground them further--
The aftermath chafes in the blistering heat

Of afternoon--with mouth closed--
And a fading of pain as relief--the cure
As bad as the complaint--

For Life's sake I'll have to lose god
To find God


*


Have patience with the afflicted--
You are among them


*


Pity us purists--

At best we're laughingstocks
At worst fall guys


*


Dry heart--

Definitive as a fossil
It gives the exact condition
When doom overtook
The fresh fragile beating
And rendered its being

Complete


[End of PART VII.]


Content (c) 2008-2010 Philip Milito.

No comments: