Friday, July 2, 2010

WAILS OF THE WRAECCA



PART VIII: LAST IN LINE WITH A BROKEN CUP


I visit
Headstone after
Headstone
In my memory--

Leave lillies
Of regret--

Cross myself from habit

And hope they are doing
Better than I am


*

Tense beneath my brave face
Hard done by and sore from it
I struggle
With belittled hubris

Prodded by fear
As the only guidance available
Persistent as consequence and
Hard as forgiving one's self


*


Oh poor victimized
Clans of crap
Rise up and kill
Your true oppressors--

Commit suicide


*


To question at all God's Will
Means an instant fall from Grace--
Who knows their own hope purely--
Undeluded?


*


Is this the glory in suffering?

To be first up in heaven
For a swig of Living Water
Who on earth was
Last in line with a broken cup?


*


Done down again
And yet again and
God Goddess Whoever Almighty--
You never tire--
Grace getting far less of a workout--
How about surprising the hell out of us
And letting goodness manifest as something more
Than a broken ideal?

Would creation truly collapse
From a brief flash of mercy?

Grant surcease please!

I weary of the mournful cuckoo
Building a nest from remorse--
Am I too unworthy to ask for the dove--
With head aflame atop blinding wings?

Would goodness build it a nest
I for one'd Promise not to try to kill it--


*


With only regret
To guide me
I move ahead
Fearful of
The sweetness of
Divine promise--
Fearful the promises
Will be fulfilled--

What would I do then--
Ready for anything but
The Grace
I despaired
Of receiving?


*


Grace may abound
When most we've fallen--
--But our fall is so swift
And Grace so slow


*


Amends?
One tries-
Enduring love
That often
Feels as if
One were being
Tortured by
An enemy


*


The pride of the meek
Will undo each promise--

The hubris of suffering
Squandering our inheritance


*


God will stem evil
In God's good time
--Sadly we suffer
Under a different clock


*


I must forget Time
--whatever aspects signal Change is slow
As the ignorant that misses it
And passes off The loss of this chance
As a test of patience


*


Useless to denounce the world--

Horror from good intentions at cross-purposes
As hard as evil seeking
Its disruptive advantage--

Unless you're into confession--don't bother--

Any who hear will be offended--
Will say--"Who are you to say?"
When God has the last word anyway--


*


May I find
My strength of patience
Against hatred of world
That binds me to world--

Trying to find the Way
Where signs are scarce




[End of PART VIII.]

Content (c) 2008-2010 Philip Milito.

No comments: