Friday, June 19, 2009

I'd have given no thought to my daily distress
had it not been for others

still strong in their sense of purpose
still vivid in their renderings

their creativity total
their aspiration for the work itself

unstinting and necessary as air to breathe--
I'd have gone on with my mute achievements

behind me and part of the fabric
of our earthly living and me tired

the work itself done with no hope of reward
except that the thing itself IS done and what it is

(I'd be the last person to know what I'm about or
what these works are--they are for whoever will

receive them and I only for whatever I am
beyond my own knowing)

but eventually it all winds down to this--
the time alive in this skin dwindling

and all this skin has experienced forming
my full content--and my end the dispersal

of this life among the young just beginning
or reaching the fullness of their meaning--

as I fade  yet I glow brighter--their reflected
fire lighting in me the source each of us shares--

and that daily distress is smoothed away
by the closing of my way

even as somehow I go along with them
on theirs--



                             Content (c) 2008-2009 Philip Milito

No comments: