Wednesday, June 24, 2009

42 years ago today

I first put pen to paper
in earnest to write poems--

a 14-year-old bedroom visionary
who felt some urge
and thought he had something to say

even if he had no idea what it was--

for years--decades--afterward
I scribbled and scribbled
slowly but surely
replacing daily living
with these mounds of blackened paper--

now--with some things said
(and said over and over)
I've run out of different ways of saying

and the daily living I disdained
is all that remains for now--that 
mounds of blackened paper--
blackened with words
few have read and even more had heard

but no difference to me nor that fugitive audience
nor the teetering world at large--
words preserved on the Akasha--if nothing else--
but in their tangible material form
not all that likely to survive whatever cataclysm awaits--

I know none of this for sure--"what endures what perishes"--

I've read Plutarch's History of Horseshit
and though Runyon says the odds are always
six to five against--considering the way of the world
they might as well be even--

so here they are--preserved in some eternity
along with everything else--

for whoever will or will not

receive---


                                Content (c) 2008-2009 Philip Milito.

No comments: