Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I want to die like the religious Elvis--


the one who sang of being changed

from "this creature that I am"


the one who shot out the Eye of the Devil

when it offended him


the one whose manna was a

fried peanut butter and banana sammich


I wanna die like a good old boy and have Dylan

write me up in one of his 'magpie' tunes


a figure as apocryphal as Mary Magdelene's apostleship

or Froggy goin' a-courtin'


I want to drain my life in distilled 'water of life'

then plead on my deathbed for forgiveness


we're all good ol' boys

expecting God's grace when all we'll get


is the unmerciful judgment

and our delusion helping us pass in peace


while a rock 'n' roll legacy feels the standard myths...



Content (c) 2008-2012 Philip Milito. All rights reserved.


No comments: