Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I walk like a ghost

through walls into other dimensions

I'm almost sure of it

though no one else is in this with me

and even if they were could I trust what they'd have to say?


people lost years ago

removed from my life by force or flow

pass by with smiles or scowls

some casting pale shadows

and others a human-shaped lens

for the low leaning afternoon sun

to shine through


but no noise

but some muffled roar that could be wind

or could be blood rushing through my ears

no notice of anyone advancing

no warning through the air of a footfall or tire screech

just some entity flitting toward or past me

and disappearing as suddenly


and my surroundings prosaic as the daily world

but with a strange edge vivid

vivid almost beyond bearing but mesmerizing

as if I would a single concentrated beam of light

shattering prism-like on their edges


I have never felt so awake


I have never felt so frightened


but I walk like a ghost

into other worlds

that all look like this daily earth

but in aspects that defy even my experience of them


am I ghost?

am I drugged?

am I having a seizure?

do I know what the hell I'm talking about?


to whom do I yell "please help me?"

to whom do I scream "Christ Almighty please save me?"

whom would I hope could hear this and respond

if any would hear it at all?


specter of some kind

I am in this alone


I am in this alone



Content (c) 2008-2011 Philip Milito.


No comments: