Tuesday, October 11, 2011

because I found you

not too late

I knew again

the soft promises

I feared would never be kept

and each kiss you blow my way

each x and o or heart

signed on every happy note

remind me how much doomed

is not so when it is lived

to the fullest

and given its 'forever' in our love


so I see it after all

weary from a ponderous life

where I presumed

to teach the silly asses

a thing or two about suffering

(even alas if I had

to bring the damn stuff myself)

no wonder I had no love

or hope and even the friends

who loved me pitied me

for the grief I brought on myself


and you my love

were such a one

who reached through the gloom

to grab me by the scruff of the neck

and pull me out

of this renegade spite

against all love

weak and frail and pained and mistaken

that still had heart enough to desire

though it be fugitive as errant time

oh now I share the common pain

that levels all of us

to our shared souls

our mates right or wrong

but all to teach and learn and love


so it is with you

dear one who found me also

not too late

we a lifetime looking in all the places

we weren't

until at last chance or fate

as with you and me

so it is with all

in each other's arms

not too late



Content (c) 2008-2011 Philip Milito.



No comments: